Minutes from the July 2001 Annual Meeting
July 12, 2001
Intelenet Office, Indianapolis
Attending: Robin Gray, Columbus Area Visitors Center; Jon Ritterbush , Hancock County Community Network; Suetta Fischer , Crawford County Community Network; Jerry Ramsey, Crawford County Community Network; Darrel Potter, SCICAN; Jane Holman, Waynet; Terry McCain, Boone County Community Network; Darcie Webster, IN-map.net/Intelenet; Kathryn Clodfelter, Crawford County Community Network (joined midway through meeting).
Call to Order and Introductions: the meeting was called to order shortly after 10 a.m. by ICNA president, Terry McCain. She welcomed everyone to the meeting, and everyone around the table introduced themselves to the group.
Financial Report: Terry passed out copies of the General Ledger summary of the ICNA account from Kent Champagne covering the period from January 1, 2000 to December 2000. Since the report had been generated, two additional items had been submitted to Kent. The first was a dues check for deposit from Hancock County Community Network for $100, and the second was an invoice for payment of lawyer's fee to Henderson Dailey for work performed on 10-11-99 (firm provided ICNA with electronic version of ICNA By-laws). The ending balance for December 31, 2000 was $43,501.34.
- 501(c)(3) determination: Terry reported that ICNA had received notification from the IRS that ICNA had been granted full 501(c)(3) status. (Per the request of the IRS, ICNA had submitted all the paperwork for the final determination to be made.) A short discussion followed among several of those present regarding their IRS status: HCCN, BCCN were 501(c)(3) and SCICAN was classified as a coop.
- 2000 taxes: ICNA taxes were prepared by Pritchard-Mooney & CompanyÑan invoice for the had not yet been received.
- New member: Hancock Community Network (contact: Jon Ritterbush) had recently joined ICNA.
Board of Directors:
- Current board of directors are: Kathryn Clodfelter, Crawford County Community Network - elected to Board in May 1999; Mary Grogan, LakeNET - elected to the Board in June 2000; Jane Holman, WayNet - elected to the Board in June 2000; Terry McCain (President of ICNA Board & Webmaster), Boone County Community Network - re-elected to Board in June 2000 (first elected in May 1998); Jim Welbourne (Vice President of ICNA Board), Access LaPorte County - re-elected to Board in June 2000 (first elected in May 1998); Mike Ney, Indianapolis Online - elected to Board in June 2000; Darcie Webster, IN-Map.net - elected to Board in June 2000.
- Board resignations: two board members resigned this past year. Katie Frederick, Director, Community Tech Link submitted her resignation in August, 2000 (Katie replaced Dick Haywood who was appointed to the Board in May 1999 and never participated). Pam Weaver submitted her resignation in June 2001 (her term was to expire this year).
- Board term expiring this year: Kathryn Clodfelter (2-year term from 1999), CCCN
- Nominations to fill vacant positions on board and board officers: Darrel Potter suggested that group hold off on this agenda item until the end of the meeting so that the group could quickly get to the community network update portion of the meeting.
Community Network Updates (very brief notes on the excellent discussion follow):
- Darcie Webster from IN-Map.net (part of Intelenet) started the updates by describing her work with the EPICS project in Orange County. Darcie passed out brochures, notepads, and pins used to promote the project. She indicated that several other counties are now interested in a similar project for their counties. Discussion followed among the group regarding the EPICS project.
- Terry McCain described the activities of the volunteers at Boone County Community Network. BCCN is in the second year of a $50,000 grant that they received from their local community foundation involving GIFT IV funds from Lilly Endowment, Inc.
- Jon Ritterbush from Hancock County Community Network described the relationship between the library in Hancock County and the community network. Jon is a library employee with half of his time spent supporting the network as its director. A total of seven of the eight townships in Hancock County are served by the Hancock County Library.
- Jane Holman discussed her activities at WayNet. As the director, she has a half-time position. She described the membership categories and the dues level and benefits for the member organization, business or individual.
- Darrell Potter then detailed the activities at SCICAN. SCICAN is one of the few community networks involved in providing dial-up access and video distribution. Darrel described some of the upgrades in the works to bring even better access to the community.
- Robin Gray brought the group up-to-date on the Columbus Area Visitors Center. The Visitors Center is associated with the Chamber of Commerce and the group receives funding from the Innkeepers tax. The site for Columbus is now hosted at Access Indiana after having moved it several years ago from a commercial ISP.
- The representatives from Crawford County Community Network related what they been doing. CCCN received a GIFT IV grant for training in their community. The network had been able to add a half-time paid position for Suetta. The CCCN members described their work with CARES (before and after school daycare), and the summer program the two organizations developed for the children in CARES.
Board of Directors (postponed from earlier in meeting): The group had to quickly wrap things up by 2 pm since another meeting was scheduled in the room. During this wrap up, Jane Holman was selected as the new President for ICNA. Congratulations Jane! Other remaining agenda items will be handled by email or via the discussion board on the web site.
The meeting was adjourned shortly before 2 pm. A big thanks for Darcie Webster for hosting the meeting.